It's Time To Start Thinking About Marketing On Polkadot: Let's Kick Off The Discussion

I completely agree with what you’re saying. It’s just that my view is that it was better to do something now even if it’s not perfect rather than wait another 6 months or one year to figure out the perfect way to pay out the funds.

Regarding the bounty I think the issue is the curators. Saying “bounty” is like saying “company”. You can go to the chamber of commerce and open a company but what is really going to make the difference between the success and the failure of that company is the team behind it. So of course the bounty can work if we can find the right curators. But the question is is it easier to find the right curators for the bounty or is it easier to vote on every single proposal by referendum? I don’t know

This is similar to the dilemma between ETFs like for example SP 500 and managed funds. Some managed funds will outperform the SP 500 and others will underperform. But the real problem is that it’s incredibly difficult to predict which managers are going to outperform SP500 so at the end of the day it makes more sense to just buy SP500

1 Like

Hi Everyone - Lots of interesting and insightful discussions here, really looking forward to making this happen as efficiently as possible!

I would like to highlight three specific areas:

TLDR; Create an environment for marketing to do … (you guessed it :slight_smile: …marketing.

One being target audience:

There is a big difference between marketing for developers and marketing for the broad market. We need to decide what we want to focus on or split the two communication areas.

Second being that we need marketing people to do marketing:

By that, I mean someone who understands audiences and how to create positive attention with the given understanding of crypto markets and the timing of certain releases. The most important skill is breaking down complexity and putting it in understandable language.

Third one being the structure and conditions under which those marketing people will work.

Creativity is a key point. It was mentioned before that you need to be quick and seize opportunites once spotted. Meaning the structure shouldn’t be overcomplicated, as this could lead to a work environment not suitable for high-performing marketing people.

Not saying this isn’t considered in any discussions here, but as a marketing person myself I honestly couldn’t bring myself to read the entire discussion here… :face_with_peeking_eye:

And guess what, neither will the broad market.

You can write 5000-word documents, but the true magic is breaking it down in a few words.

Thank you all for your combined efforts and I’m hyped to see where this leads us.

Again, just my 2 cents here :slight_smile:

Cheers, Flavio

8 Likes

Yes, indeed. But the hot spot is on the split between retail and B2B focus. The broad market is too broad…

1 Like

Do you know if there is a B2B strategy? How we onboard institutions, banks etc?

1 Like

@RTTI-5220 I would appreciate your rough vision on a Polkadot Builder Collective – of particular concern is how to get precise W3F guidance on how to set up a Polkadot Builder Collective Rules of Membership with exact guidelines on large collectives concerning 2 key content creator problems of: (a) “shilling” DOT. (b) failing to disclose payments from the Polkadot Treasury

I believe it is better to have initial collective constructed composed of builders helping builders because unlike the retail public, builders are far less likely to engage in (a)+(b) behavior which threaten to tarnish the Polkadot brand.

However, with decentralized marketing (builder focused or retail focussed) I think we should have content creation guidelines fully specified. How can this be constrained?

@Barakion 6. Polkadot content creators are great (like the Kusamarian), (…). For example, we would NOT try to show up on the Bankless podcast because those are largely ETH maxis. However, a show like Raoul Pal and Altcoin Daily have neutral users that are open to being persuaded to try something new. We have to go after influencers that are “generalists”. Worldclass SEO companies employ this concept of generalization.

Some contrary points on that.

1. They’re not just covering Eth, but also Sol :laughing:
  2. They had actually invited Gav for an episode, but Parity/W3F-PR must haven’t done their homework properly and declined with the same “ETH-maxi notion”.

I’d love to see another attempt at this, because it would be a great sign of overcoming tribalism.

@RTTI-5220 1. Direct Spending Proposals: (…) Take into account that a marketing and communications roadmap needs to have a vision, and this implies a long-term projection of the developments in the ecosystem.

Has anyone worked with coordinape? It’s a community management tool that helps to appreciate and monetize contributions to a common goal.
Instead of going through the main fund, I’d suggest we’d apply for a community committee, which is setting up the incentive structure to create decentralized content.

Here’s my user story and why this could make sense:
I’m posting too infrequently to my “small” 3k crowd on LinkedIn on various web3 topics and Polkadot. I would never be able to apply for the larger grant, like Kusamarian. But some rewards (monetary + reputation) here and there, would keep me (and others) engaged.