This idea to create a Polkadot Builder Collective (PBC) is borne out of hanging out in the @giotto -initiated Autonomous Marketing Initiative Telegram Group and the new W3F Decentralized Futures Program announced mid-November. It is one collective of what we imagine to be many collectives.
Historically, marketing has been led centrally by ecosystem leader Parity in conjunction with the Web3 Foundation. Many of the marketing functions originally performed by Parity are now expected to be performed by new ecosystem teams instead, under the guidance of the Web3 Foundation and funded by the Treasury. From It’s Time To Start Thinking About Marketing On Polkadot (Raul/RTTI-5220), 3 routes exist for the new ecosystem teams to be funded through OpenGov:
- Direct Spending Proposals, e.g. widely known Kusamarian #85 (AAG, Space Monkeys), widely discussed KryptosChain #213
- Parent Bounty Proposals. This option is not pursued here, but others are likely to pursue this.
- Collectives. This route (see Collective-Based, Multi-Asset Treasuries ) is pursued here, and may be one of multiple marketing-oriented collectives.
Many other Direct Spending proposals likely to appear in OpenGov given the activism of 16DG/Giotto, whose strategy is covered by @alice_und_bob in this video: Attract loads of content creators now, become more picky later. Hundreds of prospective content creators have appeared on Autonomous Marketing Initiative Telegram Group given this “whale’s” marketing-first strategy, distinctly different than “the Polkadot 2.0 tech will fix it”, explicitly aiming to avoid a negative spiral (eg if DOT loses its #15 Coinmarketcap due to lack of marketing, the value of DOT will fall, making the Treasury worth less, making marketing harder etc). It is critical to chart a cohesive marketing strategy using the above 3 OpenGov strategies. However, inspection of the content creators in Telegram Group reveals:
- a lack of following of Polkadot codes of conduct
- a critical lack of quality standards on shilling, which likely tarnish the Polkadot brand
- a lack of planning of how to scale from dozens to hundreds to thousands of builders, avoiding OpenGov “clogging”
A Polkadot Builder Collective (PBC), as outlined here, aims to demonstrate scalability of a rank-based system pioneered by Polkadot Fellows to address the above concerns, and is intended to utilize just one of the 3 major OpenGov funding mechanisms. Rather than target the retail public, this collective targets BUILDERS.
Additional marketing collectives may be envisioned differently.
Fundamentally the Polkadot Builder Collective is a Collective-based way to answer the following question of the Decentralized Futures program:
How can Polkadot’s social media channels, websites, brand, and design, as well as marketing campaigns for developers and decision-makers, be organized to effectively engage a global community of developers?
The PBC aims to use the capabilities of the Collectives Chain to coordinate:
BUILDERS HELPING BUILDERS
It aims to develop on-chain systems and coordinated social processes to:
- Promote Polkadot to builders concerning the Polkadot 1.0+2.0 technology stack (Parachains+ink!+XCM, and CoreTime+CoreJam+DA+…)
- Develop educational content (eg Polkadot Blockchain Academy) to support the above promotions and for suitable platforms (e.g. Coursera)
- If appropriate, conduct budgeted advertising campaigns (e.g. Google Adwords) with a high transparency through on-chain motions
The charter does NOT aim to include any of the following:
- Deciding the short-term and long-term marketing narrative, Polkadot branding or daily management Polkadot web sites (https://polkadot.network), social media channels (@polkadot). These will fall under the purview of the Web3 Foundation for 2024 and beyond.
- In-person Events (eg Consensus, Devcon, EthCC, EthGlobal). These may be skillfully handled by Events Bounty.
- PR, Key Account / Enterprise Sales, CRM
Potentially, some of these activities may be coordinated by other smaller collectives. It is highly desirable to develop a model wherein the PBC may work in conjunction with others. All PBC activities must be conducted within the PBC Rules of Membership which aims to support a respectful culture within the Polkadot and broader Web3 ecosystem, and work in partnership with the Web3 Foundation’s marketing objectives.
Individuals and small teams are incentivized to earn DOT paid every 4 weeks based on their Rank. Rank is increased and decreased through on-chain actions in the Collectives Chain, relying on social proof of others in the collective to govern judgements on membership and promotion. This can be augmented with off-chain algorithms that provide measurements to support judgements on coordinated Sybil behavior. Transparency into on-chain decision making on the Collectives chain will be supported by Subsquare or similar from Polkassembly.
Funding for the PBC will be entirely from the OpenGov Treasury supporting a set of builders helping builders
This Polkadot Builder Collective aims to reward builders with the work with funding provided by the Polkadot Treasury, with an OpenGov based referendum that will solicit funds from the Medium Spender Track of ~25K-100K DOT every 12 weeks as needed to continue operations. These funds are directly transferred from the Polkadot Relay Chain to the PBCTreasury upon a referendum’s passing.
However, this stream of funding can only be sustained if the quality of the work from the PBC is deemed to be sufficient value to justify payments and matches the Web3 Foundation guidelines. If this work is consistently of low quality, or inconsistent with the token holders expectations according to the PBC Charter and Rules outlined here, the PBC funding + existence will be short-lived. Thus PBC members have a strong incentive to perform builder education work as a collective that is of demonstrable value as a whole, in addition to individuals seeking higher rank.
All activities should be within the bounds of PBC Rules of Membership (drafted here), itself adapted from the Polkadot Alliance. At the very least, its membership must follow Principles of the Polkadot community.
The PBC aims to use the same pallets used by the Polkadot Fellowship on the Collectives Chain. However we target 50-100x as many members by the end of 2024, and with some luck, 5-10x growth in 2025-2026.
For 2024, we are driven by the following 2024 EOY Member targets and accompanying budget for decentralized marketing. We use the same language of Rank from the Manifesto.
The precise mechanics of how the existing pallet can be used to promote / demote people and ultimately get the impact at this scale is an important topic we would like to design given the Polkadot Fellowship’s design as a solid foundation.
The document tries to detail how promotion/demotion works, but we have to study the Collectives Pallet design and how the RFC #50 Salaries will work. This is work, but its already been developed, we just have repurpose it under a decent design and learn, just like in OpenGov, how to adapt it.
We propose to use 3-6 months (Winter 2024 and Spring 2024) to develop the ideas here from Westend Collectives testnet to the Polkadot Collectives chain. We suggest the following resources:
- Design Assistance from 1-2 Substrate knowledgable Collectives pallets changes required to make the PBC work
- 1-2 ex-Parity / W3F Dev Relations /Educators, familiar with social media and influencers for developers
- 1 Team from Subsquare or Polkassembly to make a UI that works for multiple collectives on the Collectives Chain in Westend or Polkadot
We are an exciting time of change! The coming few months will see many different ideas related to Polkadot’s Decentralized Future that have overlapping concerns. Here are a few:
- Marketing-related Bounties. A parent bounty for Content Creators, Influencers and Social Media may be usefully developed to be broadly complementary to this, using the Events Bounty as (a parent bounty with over 183 child bounty payments).
- Marketing-related Collectives and Other Collectives. Collectives other than the Polkadot Fellowship (highly active) and the Polkadot Alliance (largely inactive) have not been developed, but with the Decentralized Futures other collectives may form, with a charter in marketing or otherwise. It is highly desirable to coordinate these multiple collectives and parent bounties together.
- Other ideas These ideas are closely related: General Model for Content Creation Initiatives , Modular Marketing Materials, Events: Familiar Faces Fund – there will be more as more people chart a future.
We’re at the design stage for the Polkadot Builder Collective collectively, nothing is set in stone anywhere. I hope you’ll be excited enough to lead it.
Please share your thoughts on how a Polkadot Builder Collective should work here on this topic or in the Polkadot Builder Collective doc here: