Timeline on agile coretime?

Is there any estimate when we can expect Polkadot 2.0 aka Agile Coretime? So that any projects can connect to the relay chain services directly by buying coretime onthego, on demand, without needing to be a parachain with leased slot any longer?

2 Likes

The goal is to have it on Rococo by end of year, Kusama Q1, and Polkadot Q2.

8 Likes

Wow that’s great thanks :heart:

I hope we can do this faster, but let’s see how it goes on Kusama :wink:

5 Likes

:pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

Is that merged, deployed on nodes, upgraded to, or activated?

What will be the best place to track the progress? I don’t want to ask the same question every month for updates.

It is activated and there should be a parachain that is using instantaneous Coretime.

3 Likes

We have created these FAQs to keep everything in one place.

Just a small note:

Agile Coretime is not 2.0 - that one is much, much further down the line.

2 Likes

Hi all…while I am as excited on Agile Coretime and Polkadot 2.0, I am wondering why would a usecase/project host itself on Polkadot and pay when they can launch on other blockchains and not pay? I must be missing something…can someone enlighten me please?
Thanks!

@dave it depends what you compare it with. If you compare it with a smart contract deployed on another network (e.g. Ethereum) each execution of a contract function will cost the caller gas fees that will be paid to the validators. When launching your parachain instead, the tx fees would usually be paid to your own network/protocol instead, so the fees wouldn’t leave your ecosystem. Technically, you could even chose to have 0 fees on your own network, if you can find a way to make your network sybil-proof, if your protocol doesn’t rely on income from tx fees for its long-term financial sustainability. And while you won’t directly pay transaction fees on the relay chain (i.e. Polkadot or Kusama) you’d pay for the coretime instead, to secure your parachain. To summarise, it’s a different paradigm and the way you pay for security varies (tx fee vs. agile coretime/parachain slot). IMHO the traditional, Ethereum-like approach is simpler, but Polkadot’s approach allows for more flexibility and better scaling.

3 Likes