Polkadot Smart Contract Developer Survey

Hello everyone!!

I hope everyone is doing amazing. I made a survey with my team to gather information about the Smart Contract developer experience in the Polkadot Ecosystem. It would be incredibly appreciated if you could fill it in, it takes 2 min. We want to validate an idea we have for the Decentralization Futures program :rocket:

The survey: Polkadot Smart Contract Developer Survey

Many many thanks in advance and have an nice day :innocent:

Daan

11 Likes

Will there be a follow up post.on the results of this survey?

There is a lot of value in the questions asked that can help out ink!hub and protocols that deploy ink! Smart Contracts. Thank you for creating the survey.

Cheers,
Joshua

2 Likes

Hi Daan,
Thank you for doing this, I think this info will be valuable to many in the ecosystem, including us at ink!hub!
Iā€™d be grateful if you could some insights with the community!
Thanks,
Sofiya

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I will soon share the results :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As promised, the results of the survey with a total of 51 respondents! I have categorized the open answers to make it more visible. There are some very interesting results so have a look!

1. How long have you developed Smart Contracts?

2. What Smart Contract languages do you use?

3. Do you want to deploy Smart Contracts in the Polkadot ecosystem?

4. What are the biggest challenges in deploying a Smart Contract in the Polkadot Ecosystem?

The open answers are categorized with the use of chatgpt*

Category Percentage
Ecosystem 28%
Tooling 21%
Complexity / Fragmentation 13%
Documentation 13%
Standards / Libraries 11%
ink! / Rust 8%
High costs (fees) 5%

5. How would you rate your satisfaction with the current Smart Contract deployment options within Polkadot?

Average = 5.73

6. On the positive side, what do the current Smart Contract deployment options within Polkadot do well?

Category Percentage
ink! / Substrate / Rust 41%
Ecosystem 27%
Tooling 23%
Documentation 9%

7. On the negative side, what are the current Smart Contract deployment options within Polkadot lacking?

Category Percentage
Tooling + Documentation 34%
Ecosystem 29%
Standards / Libraries 15%
Primitives 15%
Developer Experience 7%

8. What would improve the Smart Contract developer experience in the Polkadot ecosystem?

9. How important is it to be able to migrate your Smart Contract solution to its own dedicated chain (for scaling)?

Average = 5.16

10. Would you deploy a Smart Contract on a platform that allows deployment in the native network token (e.g. DOT/KSM)?

Average = 3.71

Thanks for all the participants that have taken the time to fill in the survey!

R0GUE

3 Likes

The results motivated us to go through with our idea: Pop Network. We would really like to get feedback and hear what the Smart Contract developers in Polkadot think!

Besides engaging on the above forum post, you can also drop us a line on matrix: gor0gue:matrix.org

3 Likes