Collective-Based, Multi-Asset Treasuries

1. I would just use the existing tools in the Fellowship. Rank can be based on prior contributions and knowledge/experience, but to take a salary, one needs to defend their rank periodically. The default is demotion. If you know your impact will be low, then you can go off salary for your break to maintain your rank.

2. The Salary and Core Fellowship pallets. To prototype, probably fork the Collectives chain and launch a local network and tinker until you’ve set everything up.

3. Ideally, Collectives serve as a means for people with differing viewpoints to collaborate, even if they don’t agree all the time. I do see what you mean, but the system collectives chain is probably not the place for that (due to (4)). Perhaps something on a smart contract chain can facilitate these experimental groups and the Treasury should be lenient in funding them (e.g. just like accelerators have a “fixed deal” like X% equity for Y dollar investment that they offer uniformly). The Treasury could have a standard “Collective Experiment Funding Application” to help people get started.

4. Yes, there is. A runtime can only have 256 pallets (this is due to them being represented in an enum data type, which indexes its variants with a u8). The first 50 are more-or-less reserved for system things (Session, Collators, Balances, XCM, etc). Also each collective is about 5 pallets (collective, referenda, treasury, origins, …). I think that for the collectives that make it there, there should be strong consensus about the mandate and that the membership criteria will find the best people/groups to fulfill it. That is not to say that experimentation/competition/tinkering is not valuable, it should just probably happen on something faster moving and more flexible.

5. Ultimately Collectives need to manage their membership, that’s one of their features. I could imagine a change to the Ranked Collective pallet that allows people to place a deposit to become rank 0, but would need an existing member (or group of members) to admit them as rank 1.

1 Like