Polkadot: The centralized decentralized ecosystem - a cartel?

Update: Gold/Coal metaphor to Diamond/Coal to better capture the scarcity/ubiquity distinction.

No need to apologize. I understand these are topics on which peoples incomes/savings are dependent - I’ll try to bear that in mind.

I’ll assume “this approach” means using the relay-chain as the unit of development.

I hadn’t thought of the use of relay-chains as posing a challenge to Polkadot. My intuition was such uses would serve as specialized ecosystems that Polkadot would tap into.
I’ll need to think more about how use of relay-chains reflects a lack of recognition of Polkadot usefulness, as well as the other points raised.

I don’t dispute any of that.

Sure.
However, is it like Diamonds - with important use cases e.g. scarce thing of beauty in its own right, provides an input to high-end industrial applications etc. That is, a low-volume high-value essential commodity?
Or is it like Coal - with important use cases e.g. powering humidicribs, provides an input for carbo-hydrates etc. That is, a high-volume low-value essential commodity?

Yes. The structural constraint of this mechanism is what I asked about:

I don’t think I expressed alarm. Puzzlement, yes. Capital constraints are important, and won’t go away anytime soon. You are correct to point out that even if Polkadot was to solve/remove (which?) the structural constraint on the number of Parachains available, the community may still be faced with a binding “capital constraint” on the production of block space.

Okay, I think I’m building a clearer picture … is it correct to say the scarcity of/constraint on the number of Parachains is self imposed? Or is it a limitation of Substrate?

Puzzled by this - are you claiming the Polkadot “capital constraint” will always be binding before the Parachain saturate/consume the guaranteed blockspace they have available?

Fascinating perspective - thanks for sharing it - I’ve opened a W3F grant application to try and start challenging some of these misconceptions (I’ll leave capital allocation aside as it is off-topic):

No matter how much capital there is, Polkadot will always be limiting the guaranteed blockspace available by the restricting the number of Parachains - correct?

Nonetheless, this capital-allocation objection to additional relay-chains doesn’t address the question.

To return to the question:

I’ll throw out some speculative possibilities in the absence of anything else. There are three possible reasons, jointly:

• Substrate has a hard/technical limit on the number of Parachains per relay chain, and this limit is … ?
  • The (further?) limited number of Parachains constrains supply of guaranteed places in the blockspace, hence (via related demands) increases the value of DOT possibly/hopefully overcoming the inflation rate by enough to compensate investors for financing Polkadot/Substrate development.
  • The limited number of Parachain slots offers Parachain investors the allure of potentially being a monopoly/duopoly/oligopoly supplier. This too is a source of demand/value for DOT (see above re investor compensation), i.e. the prospect of excess rents/profits attracts capital to the Polkadot ecosystem.

Some other reason(s)?