When is the right time to increase validator count on Polkadot / Kusama?

I am bumping this thread, because there might now be a reason to increase the number of validators on Polkadot.

Recently Polkadot was added to: https://nakaflow.io/

This keeps track of the Nakamoto Coefficient for various Proof of Stake chains.

At the time of writing this, Polkadot is ranked #2 with a coefficient of 93 behind Mina which is 95.

If we were to increase the number of validators on Polkadot from 297 to ~320, thanks to the Phragmen Election algorithm, we will likely get our Nakamoto Coefficient up to around 100, and take the #1 position.

Kusama has been running steady with 1,000 validators since its genesis, so I think an increase to 320 would be of little technical concern. I am aware that number of validators can add a burden to the Parachains protocol, but someone who has that technical knowledge should speak on the effect of this change on the network.

Now truthfully, I don’t think there is really that much to gain by being #1 in this arbitrary list, but it always helps to cement ourselves as a leader in the blockchain ecosystem.

I would like to re-seed this conversation:

• first figuring out if it would be fine to increase the number of validators to 320 on Polkadot
  • second figuring out when in general we should change the number of validators on Polkadot and Kusama
    • for example always to cement ourselves as a leader in such metrics
2 Likes