Universal Testnet Faucet Idea

Hey PolkaFam,

With XCM channels exploding already, we should presume the upcoming wave of next-gen Polkadot dApps is quite near! Most of them will leverage multiple parachains and solochains simultaneously. To cater this future need I’m hyped to chat about a universal faucet idea to make crosschain testing a breeze.

Here’s the lowdown:

1. Easy Access: Imagine one spot where you can snag testnet tokens for all 69 Polkadot Ecosystem testnets, from Westend to Rococo and beyond.

2. Fund the Fun: Let’s kick off the integration for $500 per chain to cover setup and maintenance costs. We can chip in from the Polkadot treasury and we’ll maintain this for 2 years.

3. Your Thoughts Count: This is our playground. I wanna hear your ideas, feedback, and concerns. Let’s brainstorm together.

8 Likes

The Universal Hybrid Substrate Faucet:

The contributors have decided to vest 50% of the treasury grant for 1 year.
Considering 500$ per chain integration.

Reference $DOT price: 8$
Requesting Amount: 4312 $DOT
Address: 14XNJmoUzkvmh9cYoqG4axBRR4BWzWRbnFP79oiZgKu7V9bz

1 Like

Hello @Hustler, this is Ryan from SubWallet.

Thanks for sharing the idea. I think this is something needed for the ecosystem. I’d add mainnet tokens as well because that would help attract new users experience the whole Polkadot ecosystem.

We also had the same idea, and did a test with Parallel in the last crowdloan unlock to help users get PARA to be able to claim their DOT crowdloan (Whey Parallel? There were a total of around 19% and 27% amount of DOT contributed to crowdloan through Parallel in the first and the second crowdloan batches of auctions respectively. You can check it here.

Happy to discuss how to work together on this.

2 Likes

Thank you for the Suggestion @RyanDinh.
We decided to start with the Testnet Faucet to see the feedback from other users and based on that we wanted to make adjustments and add the mainnets later.
We can certainly discuss this more, Here is my TG: @gmeister7

3 Likes

@Birdo Maybe this can be combined with the new testnet? The new Polkadot community testnet

2 Likes

gm!
we already have this faucet which covers multiple testnets.
Teams can get added to this easily :slight_smile: Polkadot Faucet

1 Like

Thank you for the reply @Birdo.

• That faucet is designed for Relaychains and common parachains.
  • Also it does not offer support for single-click multi-chain disbursements at this time.
  • Being a Hybrid Faucet it will be useful with the new Polkadot EVM initiative.
1 Like

Why use testnet if you can fork all the mainnet parachains locally with Chopsticks and mint yourself infinite amount of assets?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply @xlc

The local deployments won’t be accessible for anyone else to test. So we need the testnets for mass testing, especially the testnet campaigns.
Also, the local forks by Chopsticks are comparatively quite slow as of now and create the blocks on demand instead of continuous block generation which might not be ideal for all kinds of developments/testing.

1 Like

It is possible to make Chopsticks to produce block periodically just like a normal network. There is no reason you can’t put it on a public for public to test it.

A one click disbursement can be built via UI? I don’t believe it needs any special tech behind it.

Teams are welcome to provide tokens for the faucet mentioned above and have their testnet chains also listed in the UI.

Thanks for highlighting that @xlc .
In the process you mentioned, you ended up spinning up a new public testnet after all on which not everyone will have the native tokens (to do the testing or to participate in the testnet campaigns). So nevertheless you will need a faucet.

Thanks, @Birdo for the question and the suggestion.
The one-click disbursement can be built via UI, yes but it’s not yet built and that’s why we are building it. We never claimed that it would have any special tech behind it. It’s less about the product and more about the whole unified service.

Also, the teams/communities can integrate their chains with the existing faucet but that comes at the cost of a small learning curve and time. Maybe that’s why the majority of teams haven’t done it so far. We are looking to remove those barriers and takeover that load completely from the existing and future testnets (as we will manually scout for new substrate testnets weekly and will do the integrations by ourselves for the next 2 years).
Also, the existing faucet you highlighted doesn’t support EVMs from the substrate ecosystem. So the universal hybrid faucet could bridge an important gap for existing and upcoming testnets (for example: PolkadotEVM testnet).

Hi this is Fredrik from Nodle,

As I can see this has now passed and is ready for implementation, what do you need from us to faucet-itate (is that even a word;-) ) on our testnet?

1 Like

Hello Fredrik, Thanks for the new addition to my dictionary xD.
Here is my TG: @gmeister7. We can discuss the faucet further there, all we need is a point of contact for filling the faucet with the test tokens.

1 Like