There are two different ideas:
- stop promoting polkadot.js Apps as a wallet, since mature wallets exist
- promote polkadot.js Apps to be the default dev console, like at “https://developer.polkadot.network”
There is a third obvious idea I would like to suggest:
3. promote polkadot.js Apps to be the default APPSTORE at “https://apps.polkadot.network”
There are many different ways you could do https://apps.polkadot.network using polkadot.js APPS as a starting point, but a default is:
(1) Add an “Apps” tab with a subitem “Appstore” [you could add many other “official” apps just like Apple and Google]
(2a) From “Appstore”, show Trending Apps, New Apps, … with “Install” or “Open”.
(2b) For every app, you should be able to see what previous users said about it. Anyone with an on-chain identity, a fellow, or lots of money might be trusted more
(3) When users click “Install”, they are shown what extrinsics the app is permissioned for, what else it does. Ideally, dapps could be held to this permissioning model technically in Polkadot 2.0, but otherwise the user base could complain about it in (2b)
(4) When a developer wants to submit their dapp, they go to https://console.polkadot.network stake some DOT on their submission and submit their app and poof, it is visible in “New Apps” – with an optional “review” process
There is approximately ZERO innovation in what I’m suggesting – 100% of us have done it in mobile already – I’m sure some old-time fellow can explain why the word “APPS” was in put in “polkadot.js APPS” but I’ll bet it was part of the plan to do an APPSTORE and this idea is a little more than pregnant and needs to be birthed.
After all, all the following platforms all have APPS and an APPSTORE:
- Your phone has APPS and APPSTORE
- Your computer has APPS in the dock and an APPSTORE
- Your TV has APPS in the home screen
- Many of the tools you use every day (Slack, Nagios, Salesforce) also have APPS and an APPSTORE
So, to make the Polkadot ecosystem user experience better, I believe there has to be:
(a) a place to see all the APPS you have INSTALLED – ie https://apps.polkadot.network
(b) an APPSTORE to find all the APPS you COULD use, including what everyone says about them (ratings+reviews) and even interact with the developer – ie
(c) a DEVELOPER APP to submit new apps and see the status and analytics of your apps (user installs, reviews/rating, revenue growth) – https://developer.polkadot.network
The way to get (a)-(c) is use polkadot.js APPS as a starting point to get the APPS/APPSTORE/DEVELOPER APP combination we need. You can throw it out and start over with a new code base, but I think its an excellent foundation to start with – its very well written React Typescript with a tremendous amount of love from jacogr and probably dozens of others over the years.
The high level bits for this idea are why to put the APPSTORE data on-chain (some people ask why, I ask why not … when there is an excess of “quality blockspace” these days), and then if on-chain then in common good parachain or not, how much of that suffocating Apple/Google type human review process has any place at all, and technically how extrinsic permissions are granted to enable users to trust more than the Polkadot and parachain “official” dapps.
At the very least, I think its crazy that polkadot.js APPS doesn’t even link to the parachain’s “official” dapps. Maybe its because the only non-opinionated ranking algorithm is the one which used used to order the parachains. You could start with that 1995 Yahoo style solution but really, since every parachain adds on their RPC endpoints, its really simple to start with this, and it doesn’t involve deciding any of these bits. It wouldn’t be very interesting but forcing the question of where the non-parachain dapps should go is an important can of worms to open. Avoiding this APPSTORE “What is the equivalent of PageRank” solution for APPS is also suffocating to the user base and the developers.
I am not advocating for a centralized website run by either Polkadot or a parachain team with the One Ranking To Rule them All. With user/developer app data stored on chain, if polkadot.js APPS can be built to be an APPSTORE for Polkadot at
every parachain/wallet/… team and indy dapp developer can build their own at
using their own fork, emphasizing their own New Apps, Trending Apps, … etc. with their own ranking algorithm. Having seen everyone game the mobile/facebook/… app ecosystems, every developer will think about gaming these apps leaderboards within 17 mins of seeing it drive their app install volume. So the gaming of this has to be thought through a bit along with an actually decentralized review process that specifically somehow bricks dapps that lie and cheat people (I wish this of wallets as well). But my expectation as a user is that I would be able to see all my apps across the ecosystem in any of those places, and that none of the appstores are trying to censor anything unless there is an actual safety reason.