Newbie Alert! Diving Deep into Polkadot

Hi Everyone,

Please, let me introduce myself to the community as a newbie on a mission to learn and experiment with Polkadot and its ecosystem.

I’m always wondering what it feels like to develop a blockchain on your own.

Also, I have always been fascinated by blockchain technology, and the innovative approach of Polkadot, with its interoperable network architecture and its powerful development framework called “Substrate”.

That’s why I’m here - to fully immerse myself in this incredible ecosystem and community.

While I may be new to the scene, I think it’s not too late to start your journey. I am here to not only learn but also contribute to this amazing community.

Here’s something you can expect from me:

• Daily Learning Posts - I plan to share my daily learnings on the forum, focusing on specific topics related to Polkadot & its ecosystem. This will not only solidify my understanding but also hopefully spark discussions and benefit others on a similar journey.
  • Open to Questions and Discussions: Feel free to ask me anything! Whether you’re a seasoned developer or another curious learner, I’m always open to questions and discussions. Let’s explore and learn together.
  • Sharing Resources: As I progress, I’ll be sure to share any valuable resources, tutorials, or documentation that I find particularly helpful.

Thanks for having me!

P.S. What are some of the most valuable resources you’ve found for learning about Polkadot and Substrate? Share your tips in the comments below!

2 Likes

@muddlebee why is this forum not suitable? I think daily is a little intense, would rather see longer form feedback, but the forum seems like a reasonable place for that.

1 Like

@joepetrowski Thanks for your support. I will do it weekly. Hope it is suitable.

1 Like

Hello @implabinash!

As another “new kid on the block” I appreciate your post here. In my own journey into this ecosystem, I have struggled to find an outlet to discuss Polkadot/Blockchain. This forum seems to have a focus on Governance and high-level discussion of niche topics, while the Substrate StackExchange seems to be a place to go for specific development questions. There doesn’t seem to be a place for “slow” discussion on the topics in between. Maybe I just haven’t found that place yet?

Here are resources I have been using:
Polkadot Wiki - OG resource
Substrate Docs - Another OG resource. Can anyone tell me if this is being phased out with the transition to Polkadot-SDK?
Substrate Tutorials - A lot of the code is out of date, and no longer works. There are plenty of questions on StackExchange with answers that help.
Polkadot.study - Again, many repos for these tutorials were built 2-3 years ago and have not received maintenance since. I’ve got one of them to build, but as I work through it I’ve begun wondering how relevant it is to modern FRAME coding.

Some newly discovered resources that Im excited for:
Polkadot Blockchain Academy YT - I just started watching the FRAME lecture series, and it is already answering many questions I’ve had.
Shawn Tabrizi’s Rust State Machine - I just found this one, and after a quick scan, it looks like it could be really good for building a foundation of knowledge.
Polkadot.education - Not available for use yet. I’m excited for what it could be.

I hope this helps a little!

1 Like

@hippiestank Appreciate your efforts. I will look into these resources for sure.

I’m always wondering what it feels like to develop a blockchain on your own.

Nobody ever did one “on their own,” as in by themselves, well unless you count the original PoC for one old one that still barely even works. :wink:

We are building the Pop platform, designed to make it easy for developers to build on Polkadot. We are very eager to hear from new developers where we can help to improve the developer experience and help where we can!

Also, OpenGuild could be a good place to meet fellow polkadot developers!

2 Likes

As an artist in the fine arts space, what type of platforms on Polkadot exists for digital art and music NFTs?