Incorperating native Move smart contracts into Polkadot

Why Move Smart Contract Language Over Solidity? (see side notes at bottom)

The choice of smart contract language can significantly impact the development, security, and scalability of decentralized applications. While Solidity, penned by Gavin Wood, has served as the bedrock for Ethereum’s smart contract ecosystem, providing a reliable foundation for countless applications, it’s crucial to acknowledge the rise of new contenders like Move.

Security and Formal Verification: Move introduces a paradigm shift with its emphasis on safety. By design, it focuses on resource-oriented programming, where every resource’s ownership is strictly controlled. This approach minimizes common vulnerabilities like reentrancy attacks, which have historically plagued Solidity contracts. Move’s support for formal verification allows developers to mathematically prove the correctness of their smart contracts, a feature that Solidity, despite its updates, still struggles to match in simplicity and effectiveness.

Scalability and Performance: The underlying blockchain architectures that Move supports, like Sui or Aptos, promise better scalability solutions compared to Ethereum’s current architecture. Move’s design inherently supports better performance metrics, which could be crucial for applications requiring high transaction throughput, something Solidity and the Ethereum network, even post-merge to Proof of Stake, still find challenging.

Innovation and Future-Proofing: Solidity, while robust, carries the legacy of Ethereum’s early development stages. Move, however, was conceptualized with insights from Solidity’s lessons, aiming to avoid its pitfalls. This forward-thinking approach positions Move as not just an alternative but potentially a superior choice for developers looking to build next-gen applications that leverage blockchain’s capabilities to their fullest.

Community and Ecosystem Growth: Although Solidity benefits from a mature ecosystem, the growing adoption of Move, especially within new blockchain projects aiming for high security and performance, signals a shift. Early adoption of Move could position developers and projects at the forefront of this movement, enjoying the first-mover advantage in ecosystems that might soon rival or complement Ethereum’s dominance.

Conclusion: While Gavin Wood’s Solidity remains a safe bet due to its established presence, understanding, and integration with a vast ecosystem, the move towards Move isn’t just about adopting a new language; it’s about embracing a new philosophy in smart contract development. Move sets up developers and projects to leverage emerging trends in blockchain technology, which from a technological standpoint, positions it as potentially superior in security, scalability, and development ease over Solidity. As we look towards the future of decentralized technologies, choosing Move could be akin to investing in the next significant evolution of smart contract languages, ensuring that applications are built on a foundation ready for the challenges and opportunities of tomorrow’s blockchain world.

side note: While it seems inevitable that Solidity will be integrated with the Plaza upgrade, we should strongly consider incorporating Move language as well. The SUI Foundation’s ongoing efforts to train Solidity developers on Move, and their claim that it’s the language of the future, are compelling.

The fact that successful Move contract execution indicates inherent exploit resistance is a significant advantage. The potential cost savings on audits alone could make Move the more attractive option. This is particularly important for our dApps, as it would greatly increase their chances of success.

Let’s stay ahead of the curve and plan for the future by exploring how we can integrate Move into our development strategy.

1 Like

In the technical aspect, I prefer to support new technology.
MOVE is modern and has a solid community. It’s an excellent choice for a modern blockchain platform.

But since AssetHub chooses Solidity, I am concerned it’s hard to introduce another smart contract.
Interoperability would be an issue. After Solidity is onboard, you can create a token from an ERC-20 contract or the Asset pallet, which may lead to confusion.

Is it too late to pivot to Move? I feel solidity is a horrific mistake that will haunt us for eternity. We can’t adopt old tech and expect to be leaders in the future.

I must have missed a step, but what progress have we made with Move? It’s great that it’s innovative, but at what cost? On the Ethereum side, I don’t see the issue with integrating Solidity, which remains to this day the leading smart contract language, am I missing something?

We, as in polkadot governance have not made made native progress with move because hey have picked Solidity. Which I am certain is a mistake. Move is the language of the future and by 2026 we will see the dev migration numbers and regret picking Solidity over Move

You probably have a background I’m not aware of, but I’ll allow myself to say this: as of today, I repeat, Move has little track record, and bringing this up here is quite amusing on your part. Criticizing Solidity is mildly amusing.

Adding one more smart contract language shouldn’t be a problem. It’s only about value, budget, and time.
You don’t need to be concerned about performance, and money can help it faster :joy:
When we talk about programming language, we talk about its expressive ability.
Solidity is not good at various scenes (I admit most of the dApp innovations come from Solidity and then port to other platforms), so from a tech point of view, I would prefer Move, although my first choice is Ink!.

I must mention what I said before: I’m deeply concerned about interoperability.
You can soon create tokens on the Assets pallet and Solidity contracts; it would be a mess for native pallets, XCM, token bridges, swap, DeFi, etc.
Now you want to add Move for the third choice.

Polkadot-native uses AccountID32, but Solidity uses AccountID20. I bet people will be confused about it.
Thank goodness Move uses AccountID32, the same as Polkadot, or I can’t imagine what chaos.

Anyway, I can understand the choice of Solidity, but I would doubt the potential negative consequences.
I feel contradictive. On the one hand, It is worse after adding the second smart contract. On the other hand, Solidity has its tech debt, and the system parachain should seek advances since some parachains have supported Solidity for business oriented.

2 Likes

PVM is a generic VM. Supporting contracts written in Solidity, Rust and potentially many more languages. Because, in principle, nothing stops anyone from writing a compiler or an interpreter contract enabling a language running on PolkaVM. A Move interpreter contract would likely be the quickest to implement and grab some market share. Would love to see it!

Unless you are talking about adding the move pallet to AssetHub, which has other implications. Can you please clarify?

This approach minimizes common vulnerabilities like reentrancy attacks, which have historically plagued Solidity contracts.

Contract calls will be nonreentrant by default anyways. And while our Solidity compiler will likely enable reentrancy for compatibility reasons. Developers can opt out if they want.

better scalability solutions compared to Ethereum’s current architecture
Move’s design inherently supports better performance metrics

That doesn’t tell anything. I’d love to see some benchmark numbers. It would also be helpful to know where Move VM ranks in this benchmark.

something Solidity and the Ethereum network, even post-merge to Proof of Stake, still find challenging.

I don’t really get the point here. Polkadot is not Ethereum and doesn’t suffer from the problems of Ethereum. Yeah sure we see some Move based chains that can compete with or outperform the throughput of ETH mainnet. Which doesn’t mean anything.

growing adoption of Move, especially within new blockchain projects aiming for high security and performance, signals a shift

Tells me nothing. Can you back that up with numbers?

Innovation and Future-Proofing: Solidity, while robust, carries the legacy of Ethereum’s early development stages. Move, however, was conceptualized with insights from Solidity’s lessons, aiming to avoid its pitfalls. This forward-thinking approach positions Move as not just an alternative but potentially a superior choice for developers looking to build next-gen applications that leverage blockchain’s capabilities to their fullest.

Of course everything designed to fix the problems of Solidity is “potentially a superior choice”. This, again, doesn’t tell me anything.

we should strongly consider incorporating Move language as well

Is the SUI Foundation considering incorporating PolkaVM?

I feel solidity is a horrific mistake
Which I am certain is a mistake. Move is the language of the future and by 2026

Wasm was hailed the future before. Solana folks will tell you the same about the Solana VM. Strong opinions which you are entitled to. But please provide meaningful benchmarks, adoption studies and market share numbers.

2 Likes

I appreciate your insight, good stuff!

Thanks for the detailed reply, I will work on backing up the statements with data.

Greatly appreciate the reply!!!