Decentralized Voices Cohort 3 - Paradox

Dear community,

My name is Will aka Paradox, within the ecosystem I hold many hats, the most applicable to this application would be my roles as ecosystem janitor and my previous stint as a Kusama council member.

As an ecosystem janitor, I operate scripts which help refund submission and decision deposits on Polkadot, Kusama and their respective collective chains. While there is UI for refunding decision deposits, submission deposits tend to be overlooked and I’ve put some effort to close that gap. When I’m not sweeping the floors, I have issued referenda to close stagnant bounties and tinkered with batch calls to help improve some administrative governance tasks.

In a previous era (pun intended), I was a Kusama Council member, this afforded me many opportunities such as proposing runtime upgrades and issues calls to cancel deferred slashes. I was also responsible for voting on treasury spends much like OpenGov with a smaller voting base (just the council members).

Philosophy:
I hold a view that the treasury affords the Polkadot ecosystem an opportunity to provide funding for its own development, allow for continuity of core infrastructure and to also provides avenues for future development. Proper spending can be impactful and imo correlates to the success of the ecosystem.

I don’t believe that a successful spend ends with a delivered product. There should be initiative to support and ensure the use of such products after delivery. It is my opinion that the ecosystem would gain the most value from treasury spends where:

• Projects demonstrate clear benefits to the ecosystem
  • There is some shared capital risk
  • There is a plan for continuity of the project after delivery and without the continued support of treasury funds

To achieve the above, I believe that projects can:

• Provide measurements for success in a quantifiable way
  • Refrain from requesting 100% funding for projects, provide capital on your own
  • Produce proof of concepts or work already completed but not at the cost of the treasury
  • Thought difficult to enforce, consider giving the relay-chain portions of equity in the project
  • Send funding to non-transfer accounts

> Edit Below<

If selected, it is my intention to interact with the community via scheduled video calls. My thoughts will be posted via Polkassembly/SubSquare and where possible with a summary via twitter.

All funds received would be donated to my Decision Deposit initiative, an account which I’ve funded with the purpose of providing Decision Deposits to non-controversial proposals. It is under the control of a 2/4 multisig allowing for independent action. Funds from this initiative become available to me when a solution for “crowdfunded” decision deposits is developed.

The community can expect me to act with integrity and to exert independant, informed decision making.

Examples of on-chain activities:

Creating, funding and closing a bounty all with one referendum.

Closing bounties and slashing tips

Use of batch calls within treasury spends, the good and bad

Kind Regards,
Will | Paradox | Paranodes.io

9 Likes