Economic Model for System Para Collators

Yeah, I mean I would already support a Treasury proposal for people running collators on Statemine.

A small collator pool can be targeted, collators can be attacked, don’t know if easy or not. but if that is the case some collators in stand-by should also be rewarded for just that.

A disruption on Statemine parachain once we have all parachains in full swing can be problematic, for the whole ecosystem.

I think the answer to that is having a properly diversified (by node operators, data centers and geolocation) collator set - determining the right size of it is another topic but in my point of view, anything above 30-40 should be sufficiently safe for the sake of decentralization and liveness. Don’t forget that only one online collator is enough for parachain to produce blocks.

I really appreciate this initiative. Encointer currently still operates its 5 collators by itself. We considered paying other entities to do so (with Encointer Association being the client). While this would distribute, it would not really decentralize anything. It is not unstoppable if collation stops because EA doesn’t pay its bills.

We would likely opt for small collator sets. I personally just fail to see the benefit of large collator sets.

On the matter of selecting a diverse set of collators: If you want to do that automatically, you’ll be looking for sybil resistance. Sybil resistance is the job Encointer aims to do for our ecosystem. Happy to discuss this further.

However: a diverse, sybil-resistant set of operators could still instantiate all their collators within the same datacenter by accident or ignorance. So Encointer can’t do this job alone. But it may enable an automated solution.

3 Likes

@brenzi
The IBP we’re developing has you covered on decentralization of core infrastructure services. We’re also more than happy to operate collators for you.

2 Likes