Adjusting the current inflation model to sustain Treasury inflow

@jonas If I read your proposal correctly, it suggests a 2.2m DOT monthly inflow to the treasury, resulting in 26.4m DOT inflow, or ~132m USD inflow at a rate of 5 DOTUSD.

If we add together the spend of Kusama and Polkadot, we arrive at 31m USD in 2022.

We can see in the previous arguments of the thread, that people believe the market could change up or down and I have my personal opinions, so we cannot really answer the question.

We have to assume that any value flowing into the treasury will eventually be spent, so we have to ask the question of how much the Treasury should reasonably spend. Personally I believe that 4x-ing the potential of the Treasury to spend right now is too much. Polkadot just transitioned to OpenGov and OpenGov should be bound to start with a similar budget like the previous governance mode.

Thus I suggest that we aim for a fixed inflow that would amount to ~30m USD (this assumes that Kusama governance will become more conservative in spending and push more costs to Polkadot governance. The amount could cover the spend of Polkadot and Kusama on the scale of 2022 spending).

Translating this into the parameters of your proposal, I propose that we set the fixed yearly inflation into the treasury to 0.5% instead of 2% (6.6m DOT/33m USD per year). This is a more conservative approach and could be changed by governance later as we gather more data.

1 Like